Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Halloween Story - Captain of the Manor - Chapter 2

The Captain of the Manor
Chapter 2


“Ghost? What ghost on what ledge?” Morris demanded in a hot voice. “You said it was a damn bird up there. Boys, get out the blasted gear. We’re going hunting.”

The rest of the crew cried out, dropped the containers, and started to unlock them.

“Like hell you are.”

“You can’t stop us,” Morris said.

“Try me, Mr Jarrett. This is my home, my business. You and your crew are no longer welcome on these grounds. Your deposits are refunded. Close the containers. Pick them up. Turn around and leave. Now,” Edmund Carslyle said, shoving forward into Morris’ face. Fists clenched against his thighs.

Above the manor, lightning flashed, thunder rumbled across the skies.

Next to Edmund, Aiden fixed his glasses and looked around at the sudden natural effects around the manor. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky. Where did the storm come from?

“You’ll hear from my lawyers,” Morris threatened.

Edmund released and clenched one fist. “You’ll get nowhere other than lose money and face within your community. I wouldn’t even bother. Leave.”

“Aiden, move, we’ll go to the next project,” Morris snapped to him.

Aiden managed to remove his attention from Edmund’s chiseled body to Morris’ furious expression. He knew this expression well. “You know what, Morris, there’s no point to this.”

“To what?”

Adjusting his glasses, Aiden straightened his back at Morris’ harsh glance. He heard the doubt in his boss’ voice. “I don’t believe I’ll keep doing this with you. As a scientific and logical researcher, I don’t consider paranormal hunting to be a legitimate business. I give you my notice.”

“What the hell are you going to do? Back to contractor research or standing in front of a classroom, trying to teach?”

“Perhaps. I need to consider my options, but I no longer include your team as one of them. I wish you luck in your further endeavors, Morris,” Aiden said, holding out a hand.

“You’re quitting on me? Just like that?”

“Yes. Yes, I am. I will not require a reference or anything.”

“We’re your ride home.”

“I believe I can manage something. I’m quite capable of looking after myself,” Aiden said, adjusting his glasses.

“Truly, Aiden? You’re quite naïve about the outside world. You still prefer the world inside a classroom or your computers,” Morris sneered.

“I will figure out my own way. Thank you, Morris,” Aiden said in a distinctive tone.

“You’re making a big mistake, Aiden. A big one.” Morris shook his head.

“I believe he is making the smartest decision since joining your ridiculous ragtag operation. He seems like a reasonable, educated young man who has multiple employment opportunities,” Edmund said, stepping behind Aiden. “I asked you to leave. Please comply.”

“You’ll regret this, Carslyle,” Morris threatened under his breath, grabbing his bag, shoving the front door open, leaving the manor. His crew followed, grumbling under their breaths about lugging the ridiculous pounds of equipment back and forth and the long drive back to their base.

Aiden looked out the front doors and watched the van leave. His career as a paranormal researcher and analyst for the ghost hunting team ended with the turning of those wheels. He tried not to cringe at the thought of overdue bills piling in his inbox at home. He wasn’t sure he would even make rent. What the hell was he thinking? Now how was he supposed to get home?

“Shall we get you signed and settled in? I would be delighted to have you as a guest.”

Straightening his glasses, Aiden swung around to face the gorgeous man, feeling the lust slingshot through his body. “Pardon?”

Edmund went behind the front desk, taking over the duties from the manager with a wave of a hand. “Do you wish to stay at the manor?”

“Ahh, I would like too, but there is a problem with my funds and issues at home. I don’t believe I can afford to stay. I need to find a way home. After what happened with the others, I didn’t think you wanted anyone here.” Aiden glanced over his shoulder at the doors, and back to Edmund, the possible…ghost?

“I can tell you aren’t a ghost hunter, not at all like the others. You don’t have their annoying drive.”

“No, no, I’m not. I’m a professor, a doctor really, of quantum mechanics, mathematical theorems, chemistry, physics, and combinatorialist. I taught quantum, mathematics, and physics in a small college, but was released when the college lost their funding.”

“You’re a genius. You went to MIT?”

Aiden shrugged, fixed his glasses. “I tested high on that so called genius group.”

“The Mensa International Group?”

“That’s the one. I belong to them, but don’t participate. Don’t particularly like crowds and much attention.”

“Yet, you teach.”

“I did teach. I no longer have a position. It was small graduate classes, less than a dozen students.” Aiden pulled a wallet from his jacket and opened it. Everything inside precisely lined the same direction, spaced perfect, and in alphabet order. Even the last three dollar bills were creased and in numerical order. He slid out his driver’s license and the credit card. He tapped the card on the granite counter and considered the balance remaining. He passed both forward and hoped it would go through. If not, he would figure out another option. From a different pocket, he pulled out a small electronic tablet. Instead of his finger, he used a stylus to open various applications, and made notes or deletions.

“How long would you like to stay with me at the manor?”

The stylus paused at the question. Adjusting the glasses, Aiden regarded Edmund. “Stay with you?”

Edmund chuckled. “Pardon, excuse my wording. How long would you like to stay here at the manor?”

“The three days we have scheduled. I hope to find a way home by Monday.”

Edmund typed in the appropriate information and slid the card through the reader. It came up rejected to his disappointment. With a glance at the bespectacled man, he tapped in to comp the room. “Please use the stylus to sign for the contract on our reader.”

Setting down his tablet, Aiden scrawled his signature across the small screen. He accepted everything, and returned the stylus to the holder. “My card went through.”

“Yes, it went through fine,” Edmund said with a small smile. “Thank you, ahh, Dr Joseph.” He slid Aiden’s cards across the desk.

“Aiden, please. I’m on a small vacation to figure out my next path.” Aiden replaced the cards back in the same perfection as before.

“You’re in Suite 304. I’ll take you upstairs. It’s the third floor, next to the family suite.”

“Family suite?”

“My bedroom suite and bathroom includes the widow’s walk and off-limits to customers.”

“Most of the haunting reports are located around the area.”

“Yes, but I don’t appreciate people wandering around my personal room to catch sight of a ghost.” Edmund unlocked a drawer, pulled a white card, tapped keys, and ran the card through the machine. He hit keys, zapped the card, and nodded at double green lights. Choosing a small folder, he added a pair of brochures on one side, a list of numbers in front, and the access card. “This is your key card. It deactivates if not used within twenty-four hours. I can reset it. It lets you in the gym and pool after hours, which is eight PM.” He slid the folder across the desk.

“Thank you.”

“Welcome. Let me show you to your room. Need help with your bags.”

“No, this is it.” Aiden gathered his things, shouldered his bags, and followed the other man.

Alone in the third upstairs hall, Edmund glanced at him. “What did you mean by you saw a ghost on the outside ledge?”


TO BE CONTINUED

2 comments: