This is a great 'pantry-stuff' recipe that you can throw together. It feeds a lot of people and everything comes under $5 at the stores. It's warm and filling with lots of protein. You can tweak the seasonings and pasta section to suit you and your family's taste.
Hugs and enjoy!
Pasta with Lentils & Tomatoes
Serves 6 Prep time: 35 mins Total time: 45 mins
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 lg onions (yellow or sweet), halved and thin sliced
2 Tbsp Italian herbs (mix)
2 cans diced tomatoes w/liquid
1 cup lentils
12 ounces pasta (any type)
Parmesan for serving
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and ½ teaspoon salt; cover, and cook until onions wilt, about 20 minutes. (During this time – prep lentils and pasta water) Uncover; raise heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, until onions are dark brown, 20-25 minutes more.
2. Add ¼ cup water; stir to loosen any browned bits from pan. Stir in two cans of tomatoes and Italian herbs. Lower heat to lowest setting to keep warm.
3. When you uncover onions for second 20-25 minutes, in a small saucepan, cover lentils with water by 1 inch. Bring to a simmer. Cover; cook until lentils are tender but still holding their shape, 15-20 minutes. Drain; stir into onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cook pasta in a pot of salted water until al dente. Reserve up to 1 cup of pasta water; drain pasta; and add pasta to onion mixture.
5. Add reserved water until you reach consistency you want – the starchy water will help thicken sauce; toss all together. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat.
6. Serve in small bowls; top off with grated Parmesan. Serve with crusty bread.